Bauhaus Dessau and Masters’ Houses
A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996
In the first decades of the 20th century, the thriving industrial city Dessau by the River Elbe provided a fertile ground for new ideas in modern architecture. So it came to pass that in 1925/26 Walter Gropius had the Bauhaus building constructed here as a “university of design” thereby laying the foundation stone for modern construction. Renowned artists including Kandinsky, Feininger, Schlemmer and Moholy-Nagy came to Dessau to teach at the Bauhaus which had quickly become famous. In honour of the Bauhaus Masters, Gropius designed the legendary residential Masters’ Houses, to which the new Masters’ Houses were added in May 2014, designed by Bruno Fioretti Marquez. Other important buildings from Gropius’ time include the Törten Estate, the Steel House, the balcony access houses, the former Employment Office and the Kornhaus.
The Bauhaus building and the Masters’ Houses have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.
annual theme: substance
Craft becomes Modern. The Bauhaus in the Making
Bauhaus building, 13th April 2017 – 7th January 2018
smart materials satellites
Steel House, 13th July – 22nd October 2017
Bauhausfest - Art and Party in Dessau
1st / 2nd September 2017